Gwen plans to ease restrictions on church activities

CEBU Governor Gwendolyn Garcia plans to ease restrictions previously imposed on churches when the province was still under higher alert levels due to the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) now that the season of Lent has already begun.

Holy Week is approaching and the governor plans to bring back church activities such as Visita Iglesia, procession and Sugat, which Cebuanos have been deprived of for the past two years due to the rising number of Covid cases.

The latest data from the Ministry of Health shows there are only 594 active cases of government-monitored Covid in the province.

With this development, the governor said she will meet with officials from the Archdiocese of Cebu for the guidelines that will be imposed in churches during this Lenten season.

“I believe that in light of all of this, we also need to be able to adapt our guidelines, especially with regard to upcoming Holy Week activities,” Garcia told reporters.

The governor, however, did not give details as she has yet to consult other Catholic church officials on the matter.

“I don’t talk because I want to meddle in Church affairs. But I speak from the perspective of a governor who has always appreciated our custom, our tradition, our heritage and the activities that are part of the observance of Holy Week,” Garcia said.

It will be recalled that after the pandemic hit the country, church activities were banned, especially those that draw large crowds.

Due to the pandemic, Minglanilla City, known as the Sugat Capital of Cebu, has not celebrated the Sugat Kabanhawan Festival for the past two years.

This year, the season of Lent began on Wednesday March 2, 2022 and will end on Thursday April 14. (ANV, TPT)

Charles K. Eckert