Man who survived fatal accident returns to complete mission at church in New Mexico

ROBERTS – A 19-year-old returned to New Mexico to complete his mission at the Church of the Latter-day Saints after a tragic vehicle accident hospitalized him with serious injuries and killed two missionaries he was with was traveling. reported nearly four months ago of a two-vehicle accident that occurred on the Navajo Nation Indian Reservation on July 22 in New Mexico. The three missionaries from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were inside a Toyota Tacoma when they crashed with a Ram pickup truck.

RELATED | Jefferson County LDS missionary hospitalized after accident, 2 more missionaries killed

FBI Public Affairs spokesman Frank Fisher told on Wednesday that the driver of the Ram pickup truck died in hospital the week after the crash, and that the investigation is ongoing. An adult passenger in the Ram van fled, witnesses said.

It is not known what happened to the fleeing passenger and it is still unclear what caused the crash, or who, if so, was at fault.

RELATED: Friends Remember The Missionaries Who Passed Away and One Who Lived. New details released on the crash.

The missionaries who were killed were Tyson Gene Haycock, 20, of Miles City, MT, and Michael Austin Davis, 20, of Corinne, Utah.

Left: Michael Austin Davis, Middle: Tyson Gene Haycock, Right: Britton Jeremie Berrett | Courtesy The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Facebook

The third missionary in the vehicle was Britton Berrett of Roberts. He survived the crash and was hospitalized in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

According to his mother, Tracy Berrett, her son returned to eastern Idaho later this month for a collarbone operation at Mountain View Hospital. He recovered from the injuries sustained in the crash for about five and a half weeks.

Britton in the hospital
Britton Berrett before collarbone surgery | Courtesy of Tracy Berrett

Tracy said her son left in September to complete his assignment in New Mexico. She told he is doing fine.

“We would like to express our thanks to all members of the community who have shown us so much love and support. It absolutely helped us through this difficult time, and still is !!! ” Tracy told on Tuesday.

Britton Berrett posted publicly on his Facebook profile: “Losing two of my best friends was never an idea I could imagine, especially not while on a mission. And for it to actually happen was the most difficult thing I have ever had to face. “

“Elder Haycock and Davis were two of the most amazing men I have ever met. I love them and I miss them both so much. Being able to serve with them was such an incredible blessing. I know we will see them all again one day! I know that through Christ we can do anything.

Berrett still has eight months to complete his mission. LDS church missions for men last two years.

Britton and his family
Britton Berrett and his family on the day of his second mission | Courtesy of Tracy Berrett
Britton at the airport
Britton Berrett bids farewell to his family at the airport on September 3rd | Courtesy of Tracy Berrett
Britton and the missionaries
Britton Berrett and missionaries in New Mexico | Courtesy of Tracy Berrett

Charles K. Eckert