Trial scheduled for Ogden man accused of assaulting his son following church mission denial | News, Sports, Jobs

Photo provided, Weber County Jail

Scott Keith Warnet

OGDEN – A 50-year-old Ogden man accused of assaulting his son for not wanting to go on a mission in the church is due to stand trial June 6 on two felony charges stemming from the incident of August 2020.

Second District Judge Cristina Ortega set the trial during a court appearance for Scott Keith Warner on January 19. Warner has not been detained, under the supervision of pre-trial personnel, since his arrest.

Warner previously pleaded not guilty to charges of aggravated assault and commission of domestic violence in the presence of a child, both third-degree felonies. His attorney, Randall Richards, said plea negotiations with Weber County prosecutors failed.

In a probable cause statement, Ogden police say the 18-year-old son reported he and Warner had a falling out after he said he would not go on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Saints of the Last Days.

He said Warner grabbed him by the arm and they started fighting.

According to the arrest affidavit, the son reported that “he was thrown to the ground and Scott began banging the victim’s head against the wall repeatedly and squeezing the victim’s neck with both hands. “.

Warner told police he tried to forcibly eject his son from the house “because it was his house,” according to the affidavit. He said he grabbed his son “everywhere I could” in his effort to push him out of the house. He also said the son hit him first.

Newsletter

Join thousands of people who already receive our daily newsletter.

Charles K. Eckert